1. Not paying attention, I didn’t realize the shattering was occurring on the anniversary date weeks ahead of the release of the cataclysm expansion date until yesterday. I guess I picked a good day to “work from home” on this holiday week.
2. Also file under not paying attention, all the portals are gone from Dalaran and Shattrath (replaced with class trainers). If I’d known, I’d have leveled a mage or two and just sat around collecting portal fares.
3. I’m glad I upgraded my system (ostensibly in advance of Cataclysm, but also in time for the shattering). Win 7 64 bit, 8GB ram, a new 1 TB drive and a new but very affordable (1GB, GTS 450) video card and a completely fresh install of WoW which I haven’t done since release. I was a bit surprised to see frame rates actually dip to unacceptable levels (<30) in a few of the new/revamped areas when the settings were on “Ultra”. Most other areas, were in the hundreds. I suspect future optimization will even that out.
4. I respecced my level 80 priest holy (from discipline). While I still need to road test it, I’m liking the Chakra/chastise mechanic so far. Looks like it will make for some interesting situational decision making.
5. Apparently I some how missed the existence of Baconnaise(tm) though my wife wouldn’t let me buy any while shopping for Thanksgiving necessities.